May 14, 2013
On behalf of the Board of Trustees, I am very pleased to announce the selection of Dr. Alex Johnson as president of Cuyahoga Community College, effective July 1, 2013.
Since leaving his position as Metropolitan Campus president a decade ago, Dr. Johnson has gained vital experience in two very diverse community college environments. He brings a unique perspective that is both internal and external, and we are extremely pleased that Cuyahoga Community College’s continued growth will be carried out under his strong leadership.
Dr. Johnson is currently president of Community College of Allegheny County, where he focuses on strengthening the college’s core mission of providing affordable access to quality education for nearly 60,000 students annually at nine campuses and centers in greater Pittsburgh. He served previously as chancellor of Delgado Community College in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath.
Thanks to Tri-C’s reputation and record of success, there was tremendous interest in the opportunity to succeed Dr. Jerry Sue Thornton as president. Ultimately, Dr. Johnson was the clear choice from among a very strong group of candidates.
The coming weeks will be a period of transition as we not only welcome Dr. Johnson but celebrate Dr. Thornton. I invite you to watch for information about the many opportunities to do both.
Jerry L. Kelsheimer
Chairman, Board of Trustees
May 6, 2013
I am pleased to announce that the Board of Trustees will interview two finalists – Dr. Lars A Hafner and Dr. Alex Johnson – for the position of president of the College.
Both Dr. Hafner and Dr. Johnson are outstanding and experienced community-college educators. We are fortunate that Dr. Hafner’s candidacy was facilitated by a change in the political environment in his home state, while Dr. Johnson is already familiar with our College. We look forward to having in-depth conversations with each of them about their vision for Cuyahoga Community College and the opportunities they see for this great institution.
Here is brief biographical information about the finalists:
Dr. Lars A. Hafner most recently was president of the State College of Manatee-Sarastota (Florida), the area’s oldest and largest public institution of higher education with 36,000 credit students annually. While there, he established the college’s first baccalaureate degree and created the State College of Florida Collegiate School, a unique middle-to-high-school housed on a college campus. During his 27-year career in higher education, Hafner also served 12 years in the Florida Legislature. He also held the provost position (campus president) at St. Petersburg College’s St. Petersburg/Gibbs campus. Hafner received an Associate in Arts degree from (then) St. Petersburg Junior College, a bachelor's degree from State University of New York at Buffalo and a master's degree from the University of Maryland. He received a Ph.D. in leadership and education/higher education administration from Barry University.
Dr. Alex Johnson, a former president of the Metropolitan Campus, is currently president of Community College of Allegheny County, where he focuses on strengthening the college’s core mission of providing affordable access to quality education for nearly 60,000 students annually at nine campuses and centers in greater Pittsburgh. Johnson served previously as chancellor of Delgado Community College in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. Johnson currently serves on the boards of the National Labor College, the Community College Survey of Student Engagement and the Association of American Colleges and Universities. He earned a doctorate from the Pennsylvania State University, a master’s degree from Lehman College, a bachelor’s degree from Winston-Salem State University and is the recipient of two honorary degrees.
Both finalists will be offered an opportunity to meet with students, faculty and administrators, and we expect to announce our selection by the end of May.
Jerry L. Kelsheimer
Chairman, Board of Trustees
Candidates Interviewed by Presidential Search Advisory Committee
The 20-member Presidential Search Advisory Committee interviewed the following candidates for the position of president of Cuyahoga Community College :
Terrence J. Burgess, Ph.D.
Dr. Burgess is the current President of San Diego City College
Stephen M. Curtis, Ph.D.
Dr. Curtis is the current President of Community College of Philadelphia
Craig Foltin, D.B.A.
Dr. Foltin is the Executive Vice President/Treasurer, Administration & Finance, at Cuyahoga Community College
Lars Hafner, Ph.D.
Dr. Hafner is the former president of the State College of Manatee-Sarasota, (Florida)
Kathryn E. Jeffery, Ph.D.
Dr. Jeffery is the current President of Sacramento City College, Sacramento, California
Alex Johnson, Ph.D.
Dr. Johnson is the current President of Community College of Allegheny County, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Belinda S. Miles, Ed.D.
Dr. Miles is the Provost and Executive Vice President, Cuyahoga Community College, Academic and Student Affairs
Daniel J. Phelan, Ph.D. (withdrew candidacy)
Dr. Phelan is the current President of Jackson Community College District, Jackson, Michigan
Presidential Search Advisory Committee
- Dr. Carol Cartwright, retired president of Kent State University
- Margot Copeland, Executive Vice President – Director, Corporate Diversity & Philanthropy and an Executive Council member, KeyCorp
- Nadine Feighan, 20-year member of Cuyahoga Community College Board of Trustees
- Mary Hovanec, Assistant Professor of History at Cuyahoga Community College Western Campus and Joint Faculty Senate Chair
- Bob Jaskulski, Assistant Professor, History and Urban Studies at Cuyahoga Community College Eastern Campus, President of the American Association of University Professors – Tri-C Chapter
- Cathy Kilbane, Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary of The Sherwin-Williams Company, Chair of Cuyahoga Community College Foundation
- Gena Lovett, Chief Diversity Officer, Alcoa, Inc., Vice Chair of Cuyahoga Community College Foundation
- Gloria Moosmann, Vice President of Resource Development and the Cuyahoga Community College Foundation
- Noel Nazario, Cuyahoga Community College Western Campus Student Government President and Joint Student Council President
- Ronn Richard, President & CEO, The Cleveland Foundation
- Shelley Roth, President & Chief Executive, Pierre's Ice Cream Co.
- Victor Ruiz, Executive Director, Esperanza, Inc.; Chair of Cuyahoga Community College Board Community Affairs Committee and Trustee
- Dr. Michael Schoop, President of the Metropolitan Campus of Cuyahoga Community College
- Bob Searson, Dean of Academic Affairs at the Westshore Campus of Cuyahoga Community College
- Dr. Amit Singh, Dean of Academic Affairs at the Western Campus of Cuyahoga Community College
- Bob Smith, President & Chief Executive Officer, Spero-Smith Investment Advisors
- Michael Trent, Academic Media Production Specialist, Metropolitan Campus of Cuyahoga Community College, Past President District 1199 SEIU Union President /Vice President for the past 20 years
- David Whitehead, Former Cuyahoga Community College Board Chair and current Trustee
- Ernest Wilkerson, Jr., founder of Wilkerson and Associates, LPA
- Linda Woodard, Executive Director, Workforce and Economic Development Division (WEDD), Cuyahoga Community College
R.H. PERRY & ASSOCIATES
2607 31st Street NW
Washington, DC 20008
R. H. Perry & Associates is committed to the highest standards of professionalism in all dealings with candidates, sources, and references. We fully respect the need for confidentiality and assure interested parties that their background and interests will not be discussed without consent of the applicant prior to her or his becoming a candidate.